This delightfully compact volume combines the accessibility of language with frankness of message that has made St. John Chrysostom dear to readers for generations. David Ford's new translation of selected passages from the "golden-mouthed" preacher's prodigious output preserves the immediacy of the original, bursting with enthusiasm for his listener's ear while remaining economical in the medium of communication.
This volume marks the second of the series comprising excerpts from the homilies of St. John related to various aspects of our life in the Church. These include:
- The Church as Christ’s Body
- The Church as the Bride of Christ
- The Church as Our Mother
- The Church as Heaven on Earth
- The Church as the Place of Joy and Rest
- The Power of Prayer in Church
- The New Birth in Baptism
- The Holy Eucharist
- The Church Gives the Lord’s Peace
- The Greatness of the Priesthood
Translated by David C. Ford.