PRIMACY IN THE CHURCH is a careful and critical selection of historical and theological essays, canonical and liturgical articles, as well as contemporary and contextual reflections on what is arguably the most significant and sensitive issue in both inter-Orthodox debate and inter-Christian dialogue—namely, the authority of the primate and the role of councils in the thought and tradition of the Church.
Volume One examines the development and application of a theology of primacy and synodality through the centuries. Volume Two explores how such a theology can inform contemporary ecclesiology and reconcile current practices. Chryssavgis draws together original contributions from prominent scholars today, complemented by formative selections from theologians in the recent past, as well as relevant ecumenical documents.
About the Editor: John Chryssavgis is the Archdeacon of the Ecumenical Throne and author of many books on Orthodox theology, spirituality, and ecology.
- Foreword, Metropolitan Kallistos [Ware] of Diokleia
- Introduction, John Chryssavgis
The Meaning and Exercise of “Primacies of Honor” in the Early Church,
Brian E. Daley,SJ
- The Apostolic Tradition: Historical and Theological Principles, John Chryssavgis
- St Irenaeus of Lyons and the Church of Rome, John Behr
Primacy, Collegiality, and the People of God,
Metropolitan Kallistos [Ware] of Diokleia
Mark of Ephesus, the Council of Florence, and the Roman Papacy,
- The Ethical Reality of Councils: An Anglican Perspective, Paul Valliere
Primacy and the Holy Trinity: Ecclesiology and Theology in Dialogue,
John Panteleimon Manoussakis
- A Liturgical Theology of Primacy in Orthodoxy, Nicholas Denysenko
- Primacy and Eucharist: Recent Catholic Perspectives, Paul McPartlan
Primacy in Orthodox Theology: Past and Present,
Metropolitan Maximos [Vgenopoulos] of Selyvria
Primacy in the Thought of John [Zizioulas], Metropolitan of Pergamon,
Primacy in the Thought of Stylianos [Harkianakis],Archbishop of Australia,
- Primacy, Ecclesiology, and Nationalism, Metropolitan John [Zizioulas] of Pergamon
- Primacy and Synodality: An Essay Review of Contemporary Theological Literature, Nikolaos Asproulis
- The Petrine Office: An Orthodox Commentary, Paul Evdokimov
- The Idea of Primacy in Orthodox Ecclesiology, Alexander Schmemann
The Primacy of the Ecumenical Patriarchate:Developments since the Nineteenth Century,
Metropolitan Maximos [Christopoulos] of Sardis
- The Ecumenical Patriarchate in the Twentieth Century, John Meyendorff
- Ecclesial Communion, Conciliarity, and Authority:The Ravenna Document
- Position of the Moscow Patriarchate on the Problem of Primacy in the Universal Church
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.